Saturday, August 06, 2005

Three Candles and where I write

There's a new (for me anyhow) Poetry Board on Three Candles. In order to participate you have to give your REAL NAME - yayaya.

(I never understood why poets would want to post in secret but I have some guesses - maybe they feel some of the crits are 'personal' and want to receive a more objective response to their work; maybe they don't want their friends (or enemies) to know what boards they are hanging around; maybe they are not actually poets but are scarfing their poems from other writers and laughing at us for not recognizing obscure pieces; maybe they are not really people but aliens attempting to communicate through the ethernet, and on Zenon everyone picks a new name on Mondays; maybe we are not really reading their poems but are actually viewing the imprint of their rear ends from beneath an office chair in some quantum cubicle. You just never know.)

Three cheers for Steve Mueske for this forum. The Membership list is impressive - there should be some grand poems to read and lick and love over there.

Speaking of Poetry Boards, the internet has lost Melic - most accounts agree it was inevitable - I know the last few times I visited, the board was mostly grafitti - very few poems. It's become obvious the unmoderated poetry board cannot succeed although Im still not fond of 'registration only' boards - for some reason my computer won't hold registration details anymore so every time I want to jump in and post a crit I'm asked for my name and password. I dig and dig through the stack of papers next to my keyboard, half of it falls to the floor, slips into the hall, finally I find THE BOOK, leaf through it urgently, carefully type in all the lower and upper case letters, carefully typing 0 when it's a 0 and O when it's an O and finally - I'm in. But the impulse muse has long since flown.

Melic will be publishing one final print mag, the theme is Death and the Death of Melic. Deadline for submissions Nov 1. E-mail address is melicreview@hotmail.com.

New poetic blogs include Arlene Ang's The Desecration of Doves and Rachel Mallino's All of Nothing

And finally, 32 Poems Magazine Blog has posted a challenge for poetbloggers to post a picture of their writing spaces. Here is a pic montage of my and my daughter's creative studio space

Where I Write
Click Here to see larger version

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks accomodating, Jude. I imagine if you had a chair on rollers you could scoot around nicely. I have my computer barely fitting on the top of a fifty-year-old desk. We manage.

-Millard

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jude,
I was glad to open my new Comstock Review and see your name in it and the poem I'd seen an earlier version of. The lower key ending deepens the depth of the POV. I like what you did.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Arlene said...

What a great place you've got, Jude... so neat and well-ordered! Love the fuchsia post-its, too. I've posted my horrid workplace at my blog.

Teehee. You said:

... maybe we are not really reading their poems but are actually viewing the imprint of their rear ends from beneath an office chair in some quantum cubicle.

What a hoot!! You just may be right on that one. Hee.

7:44 AM  
Blogger jz said...

i wandered on here -- and felt compelled to answer from personal experience why one would post poems without using one's proper legal name --

you hit on two reasons in your post...i have posted on boards with my name (or something like it) and felt like people come to assume a style etc. -- and I find it fun/interesting to post with a name others might not recognize to see what reactions i get. should it make a difference in how a reader crits a poem? i don't think it should.

i also tend not to use my name for personal reasons. i work a job where i could get into trouble for posting -- where even doing my blog could get me into hot water. it is a risk.

but mostly when i post, i don't actually try and hide who i am. most people who are familiar with my style recognize me (to my chagrin) and i don't try to deny my true identity. at the writer's block, i only used one name and i put a link to my blog in my profile.

enjoyed your site -- good luck with the writer's block.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Squamish Writers Group said...

Thanks Millard - now let's see your 5- year old desk! Send the image to me if you want - and I'll post it.

Thanks Pearl, just got the booklet myself today. I am so excited - my first my first my first !!!!

Arlene - haha - ya I laughed myself silly at that idea but was hoping no one one be offended.

Including you Jim. Certainly my blog entry was unrelated to recent posts elsewhere in etherland - I respect everyone's need for safety and comfort.For 9 months I posted under a pen name on a domestic abuse board. TO post my real name would have been dangerous - the thought terrified me at any rate.

It's a grand old world. Room and places for everyone

cheers
Jude

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Squamish Writers Group said...

Good Grief. I can't believe the bots can spam my blog comments. It is going to make 'anonymous' comments a thing of the past - sadly. I have deleted the spam.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home