Thursday, October 27, 2005

Mercury Retrograde

Three weeks ago I ordered 1000 glow stix from someone on ebay. They were to sell this Hallowe'en Weekend as a fundraiser for my daughter's school. The stix have not arrived.

I haven't written a poem in a week - eep, 11 days!

I've felt despair this week, unable to focus, a feeling that there is something horribly flawed threading through the fabric of our life. I have to be brave to get out of bed.

Contests are late. Submissions/rejections don't arrive. The internet has been down for days in my province. So finally I purchased a dial-up. Turns out, the dial-up was down too.

My daughter puts her homework in her bag and when we arrive home, it is strangely not in her bag anymore but sitting on her desk at school. She cries. I have no idea what to say to her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Sometimes it seems that everything clicks; you get the sense that everything is happening the way it's supposed to be. Other times it seems that things are cruelly and inexplicably random. Sometimes you have to get down low to jump real high; the better times will come back. In the meantime, there are good things happening which you may not see now, but will be evident later. As for not writing for a while: sometimes you need to inhale before you can exhale again. If you keep exhaling you run out of breath. After all, what we desire is inspiration: and poetry is our expiration. Or, as Mr Myagi said: "breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out..."

8:17 PM  
Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Misery loves company, so let me share my last Thursday with you. I'm on the way to my doctor for a checkup. My car's engine is overheating. I manage to bring the temp down by lowering the windows and blasting the heater. But now I'm worried that the engine's been damaged. I get to the doctor where they check my blood pressure. It's 148 over 90. So now I have to have my medicine's dosage increased and get more tests. I get home to find a copy of an anthology in the mail with one of my poems in it, complete with a check with "Winner!" in the comment section. I thought of the movie "Say Anything", in which the "theory of convergence" is discussed: that good things happen with bad things.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Squamish Writers Group said...

Hey! Congratulations - what is the name of the anthology? I'm going to navigate myself ovah to your site and check it out ....

Jude

3:26 PM  
Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

The name of the anthology is Hooks. You can inquire about it at Melissa Guillet's e-mail address.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home