Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Snow, sun, jagged horizons, that sort of thing

Hope you're all getting into the holiday spirit. I was looking at a carton of eggnog yesterday - arguing with my daughter about whether we should get the lite version - ok, so here are the facts. The regular eggnog is 264 calories per cup (over 100 more calories than a can of beer!) and the Lite eggnog is ...... 237 calories per cup. There you have it. Choosing one over the other saves you 30 calories or so but costs a whole lot more in satisfaction! My daughter was right. The secret is to not buy the stuff at all, I think. So I didn't!

I've been suffering a lot lately for not finding poem-matter anywhere - as in, who wants to read yet another poem about snow or marital breakups or loneliness of even the dead salmon and the eagle party or cancer or parents dying or snow or the moon in a winter sky or the smell of paraffin or the bermuda brother and his new convertible - it's all so done done done. I had forgotten something important! I had forgotten writing practice -

which doesn't require a poem, just a page of writing. I remember now, when I took up the habit last year, all sorts of poems great out of the scribble. So, I purchased a beautiful writing book cover, stuck in a lined notebook, and now I promise I will fill a page a day. And it doesn't have to be a poem. Ill write in all the places I spend my time waiting for my daughter - the pool, the drama club, the school parking lot - and I will stop feeling sorry for myself. Hooray! But it's not to be a journal, has to be descriptive, imagery-rich, that kind of thing. I'm going to use my senses ...

Join me, won't you?

Jude

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Sounds good. Just heard Thomas Lux give a reading. Looking at his titles can be inspirational that you can find poetry in practically anything, e.g. "Pecked to Death by Swans", "Walt Whitman's Brain Dropped on Laboratory Floor", Tarantulas on the Lifebuoy", "A Boat in the Forest", "The Man Inside the Chipmunk Suit": I could go on and on.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home