Thursday, January 12, 2006

Congratulations - Honorable Mention

What a nice surprise to receive a note from the Comstock Review. A chapbook I put together for their contest the Jessie Bryce Niles Chapbook Competition received an Honorable Mention:

Congratulations
in having your chapbook selected for Honorable Mention in the Jesse Bryce Niles Chapbook Competition. It is unfortunate that we can publish only one chapbook per year. Please see the special note from Kathleen Bryce Niles on the announcement sheet. Write us and let us know whne you find a publisher for your fine chapbook.

Note from our judge:

The riches given to us because of our reputation and ongevity were abundant. It is my hope that all of these find publication because each is a jewel to be admired and read over and over. - Kathleen Bryce Niles, December 2005.

Winner: J.F.Connoly, Among the Living
Honorable Mentions : totaling 14
Special Merit: totaling 30

It seems I'm the only Canadian in the top 45. I recognized only one other internet poet in the lists, James Zerndt, who might be Jamie Zerndt, one of the poets that workshops at The Gazebo.

A nice start to the year and encouraging too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Way to go Jude! I am not surprised that you received some special attention for your work.

Coincidentally, I finally heard back from the Hudson Review yesterday. A rejection, but I'm psyched, because now that frees up those poems to be submitted elsewhere.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Squamish Writers Group said...

Thanks Ayanna

Hi Bob - ya, I know what you mean by having your poems tied up waiting for a response. I have a bunch tied up in the CBC Radio Literary awards right now but actually, I'm starting to think I can free them as, in previous years, I heard from them before mid-January. This year might be a bit later due to the strike, but not that much.

There's a funny story out there, actually it's a POSTCARD on Poets & Writers Magazine http://www.pw.org/mag/ - called The Rejection Collection. You might enjoy it.

Cheers
Jude

4:50 PM  
Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Jude, thanks for the link to the Rejection Collection. Seems to have the right attitude about it. Today I took what I think are the two best poems rejected by Hudson Review and submitted them to Kenyon Review.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Squamish Writers Group said...

ooo, good luck! I've actually got them on my list of to-dos for this weekend too. This weekend I am submitting to magazines that accept electronic submissions. So far that's Kenyon Review and Burnside Review. But I'm going to look for more. Do you know of others?

Jude

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home