Friday, March 17, 2006

I'm on a roll ...

I've had another poem accused of - well - being nothing I guess.

"though this poem is constructed so perfectly, it is so white. Bland."

That's two out of three for this month. I've changed the name of my poetry blog to "Poems about nothing" and I'm considering it as the name of my first book of poems.

Change can be sun shaped, pewter

I might be ready to move the old chimes -
a gift from the man I don't know anymore.
It's a big job,
involves spider webs
and a stepladder with my mother's
handwriting on the tray.
Once in their new spot
they'll be exposed to wind,
they'll make noise, restless
like rigging and shackles
high above the marina, glass
milk bottles shivering together
in their morning crates, the buckle
on my father's belt, clapper and glide
nudging from its angry loops,
excited coins in the pockets
of my husband's jeans, their journey
through midnight to the bedroom
floor, bone-shaped
tags on the neck of a dog lapping
from his stainless bowl,
my newly minted house keys
falling and falling at the door.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

I'd say a person who sees only blandness in this poem is either bland him/herself or lacks an appreciation of the wistfully evocative. Just another reason why I infrequently post to critique groups anymore.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jude Goodwin said...

Hi Bob

It's a learning curve for me though. There were a lot of readers that enjoyed the poem as well.

So many people out there, it's fascinating - so many different responses to one poem.

I unfortunately do not have a 'real life' workshop for my poems so these online critique groups are a huge help - and influence.

I must remember to read the masters as well each day or I lose site of what a good poem is all about.

Thanks for dropping by Bob, I always appreciate your comments!

Jude

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jude Goodwin said...

Ooops, so many websites, I meant 'sight' - sigh, one of my least favourite spelling errors. Ranks up there with 'your'.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home