Friday, March 31, 2006

Where do you workshop your poems?

Or do you?

Jane Kenyon had Donald Hall. Plath had Ted Hughes. Who do you workshop your poems with?

I live in a small town, with few poets and none interested in workshopping. As a single mom it is next to impossible to plan weekends away (at workshops) or classes or courses in the city. I've never been very good at working in a void. I need feedback - constructive, interested, productive feedback. The internet has to provide this - but with so many online workshops to choose from, my head is spinning. I can't find a place where I feel settled and constructive.

Do you get that from an online workshop? If you do, let me know where you go. How many poems do you workshop there per week? What do you like best about the workshop?



The Squamish Writers Group
after numbers dwindled significantly,
the group decided to not workshop, but rather
focus on discussion and get together for readings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

I started with online critiquing in the Poetry section of Zoetrope. The critiques are private, not public. Some people fault Zoetrope for this, but one of the advantages is that you don't have a critter who is playing more to the other critters than to you and your needs. The downside is that some critters can be perfunctory and not be called on it because no one but the poet sees the crit. I critiqued over 500 poems on Zoetrope, and had about 75 of my poems critiqued there. I hardly ever go there anymore, because more and more the poems were not engaging me.

I've found I'm more prolific since I've stopped regularly critiquing. For people who don't like my work, that's a bad thing, for people who do, it's good.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

I forgot to mention. Lately I've been blogging my poems on MySpace, and I've gotten some helpful feedback. What I like about it is that I get a mix of poets and non-poets who offer their perspectives.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home